Blog-Archiv

Freitag, 29. April 2016

Happy Birthday Kate Mulgrew!

I'm proud of it. It was difficult; it was hard work. I'm proud of the work because I think I made some little difference in women in science. I grew to really love Captain Janeway, and out of a cast of nine, I've made three great friends, I managed to raise two children. I think, "It's good. I used myself well.".

I have a very rich and wonderful personal life, and at its core are my sons.

A lot of her is me. I've had this broad under my belt for five years. I own her - and nobody can tell me that I don't own her. I love every single dimension and component of her being. Her nobility, her flawed character, her laughter, her love of the absurd, her love of the unknown, her love of science... I've loved her great heart, her formidable spirit, her guts. She has a much better mind than mine, and a gifted imagination as well, but she's a little prickly, and certainly not without ego. She has this profound sense of humanity: she can talk to anybody and they listen.

Life is sacred to me on all levels. Abortion does not compute with my philosophy.

I would consider playing Janeway in a movie, but not on television. Would I play Janeway again knowing what I know about the experience? Yes, I think I would. I'm really so proud of what I did. I don't think I've met anyone who worked as hard as I did during those seven years, except maybe Patrick Stewart, and maybe not even Patrick because he wasn't raising two children on his own. I proved myself to myself.

I am often fond of saying the Trekkers are passionate about a hobby, their hobby is 'Star Trek.' They are by and large very imaginative, very intelligent people, and they certainly have been more than generous to me.

I have a very rich and wonderful personal life, and at its core are my sons. I will tell you very frankly that I have missed them badly in these five years... But what we're talking about is a block of time I've missed now with them. Years when nurturing was crucial, I think to their self-esteem. The kind of nurturing that comes without conditions or contingencies. The kind of nurturing that is so simple and so basic to human nature, regarding this relationship between mother and son. We missed it.

I've had young women come to me and say that before they watched 'Voyager' it didn't really occur to them that they could be successful in a higher position in the field of science; girls going to MIT, girls pursuing astrophysics with a view to a career in NASA.

The minute there's a nip in the air, the fire's lit and the brandy is poured.

We are talking about someone who has lived. It must be honored in every respect. The fictional can take any kind of channel - according to the actor's marriage to the character. 

I think people think I'm accessible. I'm never treated as a star, either by fans or other actors, and I like it like that. I don't get the star treatment. I think that means I'm a good actor. They acknowledge me as a human being, and to me, that's invaluable, because that's exactly what I am!

Execution as punishment is barbaric and unnecessary.

When I joined Voyager at the eleventh hour, we had nothing but hair problems. Short? Long? With a hairpiece? Without a hairpiece? All the concerns were about my hair--the hair being the trademark of the woman, right? Finally, we got all that settled but I think there was really something else going on. I think they were nervous about having a woman as captain but they couldn't be as general as to say, "We're just nervous about her.". So it's best to pick something--like hair!...

We would very much like to work together again. And we've talked about it for years. For some reason it's been elusive. She would take a movie idea to a network and I would not be available. And of course Voyager happened and it's just been - it's not been in the cards. But I'd give my eye-teeth to work with her.

The best thing was simply the privilege and the challenge of being able to take a shot at the first female captain, transcending stereotypes that I was very familiar with. [I was] able to do that in front of millions of viewers. That was a remarkable experience - and it continues to resonate. The downside of that is also that it continues to resonate, and threatens to eclipse all else in one's long career if one does not up the ante and stay at it, in a way that may not ordinarily be necessary. I have to work at changing and constantly reinventing myself in a way that probably would not have happened had Star Trek not come along. I knew that going in, and I think that all of the perks attached to this journey have been really inexpressively great. So the negatives are small.

It's not refreshing where there is confusion or any kind of discomfort in a group that has to work that closely together.

He understands that if I'm not happy - which was not an understanding in my first marriage - if I'm not happy as an actor the marriage isn't going to work. And conversely, if he is not politically fulfilled - Maybe that's the second time around - I don't know. We're absolute equals in this. And it feeds the passion.

Great writing is great writing. It's as simple as all that.

The perfect combination of everything that not only delights, but exalts me is my husband. I could not ask for a better man.

The elegance and the quality - the talent is always in the literature. I start with the word and I base everything on that. It doesn't make any difference to me.

When you turn 50, you realize that the better part of your life is past, ... Mothers usually don't get to spend five weeks with their 21-year-old son. We drove all over the place.

Of course, the young male demographic has always been the target demographic for 'Star Trek,' the men ageing fifteen to about twenty-five or thirty, a very tough market to appeal to.

There's no question what Hepburn would say. She would go back to what she's always said about Tracy. "He's a man's man. He put out his big paw and smacked me and that's what it's all about. And I just fell to my knees. And that's what I loved. And that's the way it's always been.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen