Blog-Archiv

Montag, 3. August 2015

Happy Birthday Martin Sheen!

Future generations are not going to ask us what political party were you in. They are going to ask what did you do about it, when you knew the glaciers were melting.

Du weisst nie wann du etwas tust das andere berührt.

I honestly do not know if civil disobedience has any effect on the government. I can promise you it has a great effect on the person who chooses to do it.

Nothing ever gets done unless it's done by a fanatic.

I love my country enough to risk its wrath by drawing attention to the negative things we don't always want to see. And that can be risky and you have to pay for that. (Ramon Estevez) on Inside the Actor's Studio.

When an actor reaches down into his emotional well and pulls up a deeply personal response, the audience can sense something special is going on. They may not know exactly what they're seeing, but they recognize it as authentic.

You do it for yourself. You don’t expect to change the world. You don’t even expect to influence your family or your friends. You do it because you can’t not do it and be who you are. Or who you’re meant to be.

Just open your eyes! I thought. These desperate poor are your gurus.

There was a saying that Marlon Brando changed the way actors acted, James Dean changed the way people lived. I believe that.

I became an actor because it was my clumsy attempt to become myself.

We never get over our fathers, and we’re not required to.

Kids don't always stop to judge or analyze a new experience unless the adults around them react strongly. Otherwise, they just take in the experience and move on to the next one.

The line between spontaneity and stupidity can be very thin.

It doesn't really matter how much of the rules or the dogma we accepted and lived by if we're not really living by the fundamental creed of the Catholic Church, which is service to others and finding God in ourselves and then seeing God in everyone - including our enemies.

What we try to say is that it doesn't matter if you are a Republican or a Democrat or conservative or independent. You are equally responsible for your place in the culture, and you must make a contribution, and you must accept responsibility for what goes down on your watch.

I don't think that people in America are really given enough information about the Third World.

I have been accused of being a traitor, and I have been accused of not supporting the military. Nothing could be further from the truth.

There's no way that I could be the president. You can't have a pacifist in the White House... I'm an actor. This is what I do for a living.

Those years on the golf course as a caddie, boy, those people were something. They were vulgar, some were alcoholics, racist, they were very difficult people to deal with. A lot of them didn't have a sense of humor.

Don't invade Iraq. Inspections work, war won't.

I never went to college when I was young and am looking forward to giving it a try... at age 65!

I still believe in the nonviolent Jesus and the basic human goodness present in all of us.

I think President Clinton was probably the brightest President of the 20th century.

When I reached adulthood, even now, I could afford to belong to a country club. But I could never belong to a private club because of my experience as a child, because it would isolate me from the whole of humanity.

Anybody who plays golf will tell you that you play against yourself.

It is my pleasure to support a candidate who truly reflects our values and highest ideals.

My first civil disobedience arrest for social justice was in 1986 for protesting the SDI.

George W Bush is like a bad comic working the crowd, a moron, if you'll pardon the expression.

I just think that the only way we come to ourselves is through each other.

I am not the President. Instead, I hold an even higher office, that of citizen of the United States.

I think the Church is a conduit to God. The Church is not God. And I think that from the very beginning Jesus taught us that.

We live in a very dysfunctional society, and this is a very, very dysfunctional Administration.

Well, I think that Catholicism's basic foundation of faith is personal conscience. I think it's between you and God, not you and the Church.

You never know when you are doing something that is affecting someone.

War at this time and in this place is unwelcome, unwise, and simply wrong.

And there are so many people in the third world suffering so horribly right now, and we are so focused on ourselves and our culture that a lot of things are showing up in our culture that are making it impossible for us to focus on others. We're so self-focused.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen