Blog-Archiv

Sonntag, 2. August 2015

Happy Birthday Isabel Allende!

We don't even know how strong we are until we are forced to bring that hidden strength forward. In times of tragedy, of war, of necessity, people do amazing things. The human capacity for survival and renewal is awesome.

Wenn ich einen Roman für Erwachsene schreibe, ist das, als würde ich in einen dunklen Raum treten.

I never said I wanted a 'happy' life but an interesting one. From separation and loss, I have learned a lot. I have become strong and resilient, as is the case of almost every human being exposed to life and to the world. We don't even know how strong we are until we are forced to bring that hidden strength forward.

Chile ist wie eine Tausend-Schichten-Torte.

I am happier when I love than when I am loved. I adore my husband, my son, my grandchildren, my mother, my dog, and frankly, I don't know if they even like me. But who cares? Loving them is my joy.

Die Geschichte wird Pinochet richten.

I have not changed; I am still the same girl I was fifty years ago and the same young woman I was in the seventies. I still lust for life, I am still ferociously independent, I still crave justice, and I fall madly in love easily.

Ich weiß, dass alle Vorurteile von der Kultur geprägt werden, in der wir aufgewachsen sind.

What I fear most is power with impunity. I fear abuse of power, and the power to abuse.

Für Menschen, die den Terror und die Folter überlebt haben, ist der Versöhnungsgedanke unerträglich. Ich würde niemals wagen zu sagen: Liebe deine Feinde. Aber wir müssen an unsere Kinder und Enkel denken, statt uns gegenseitig mit Vernichtung und Hass zu verfolgen.

If you change the way you tell your own story, you can change the colour and create a life in technicolour.

Der erste Satz ist wie eine kleine Tür, die sich zu einem großen, dunklen Raum öffnet.

I can promise you that women working together - linked, informed and educated - can bring peace and prosperity to this forsaken planet.

Wir lernen sehr früh, Masken anzulegen. Masken, die wir so häufig wechseln, dass wir unser eigenes Gesicht nicht wiedererkennen, wenn wir in den Spiegel schauen.

On a Tuesday, September 11th, 1973, we had the military coup in Chile that forced me to leave my country eventually. And then, on a Tuesday, September 11th, 2001, we had the terrorist attack in the United States.

Was macht es für einen Unterschied, ob ein Mann seine Geliebte oder seine Ehefrau betrügt.

Giving women education, work, the ability to control their own income, inherit and own property, benefits the society. If a woman is empowered, her children and her family will be better off. If families prosper, the village prospers, and eventually so does the whole country.

Ein Buch zu schreiben ist wie eine neue Liebe.

The pain of losing my child was a cleansing experience. I had to throw overboard all excess baggage and keep only what is essential. Because of Paula, I don't cling to anything anymore. Now I like to give much more than to receive.

Das Wichtigste für den Macho ist es, Frauen zu sammeln. Zu einer dauerhaften Beziehung ist er unfähig.

Women have always been courageous... They are always fearless when protecting their children and in the last century they have been fearless in the fight for their rights.

Im allgemeinen ist der Lateinamerikaner ein sehr schlechter Gefährte, ein sehr schlechter Liebhaber und ein sehr schlechter Vater.

I don't want an uneventful and safe life, I prefer an adventurous one.

Überlebensgroße Dinge geschehen im Leben öfter als in Büchern.

A memoir forces me to stop and remember carefully. It is an exercise in truth. In a memoir, I look at myself, my life, and the people I love the most in the mirror of the blank screen. In a memoir, feelings are more important than facts, and to write honestly, I have to confront my demons.

Ich glaube, dass in allem, was man schreibt, etwas von einem selbst steckt.

I confess that I am a messy, disorganized and impatient reader: if the book doesn't grab me in the first 40 pages, I abandon it. I have piles of half-read books waiting for me to get acute hepatitis or some other serious condition that would force me to rest so that I could read more.

Der Umstand, daß ich eine Feministin bin, heißt nicht, daß ich nicht feminin wäre.

We want a world where life is preserved, and the quality of life is enriched for everybody, not only for the privileged.

Waffen kann man nicht mit Küssen und Kugeln nicht mit Blumen besiegen.

I write to understand my circumstances, to sort out the confusion of reality, to exorcise my demons. But most of all, I write because I love it!

Ich fühle mich in keiner traditionellen Religion wohl - vornehmlich deshalb, weil die meisten Religionen von Männern erfunden wurden, mit einem männlichen Gott.

I don't read thrillers, romance or mystery, and I don't read self-help books because I don't believe in shortcuts and loopholes.

Der erste Satz ist der wichtigste, er kommt nicht aus dem Kopf, sondern aus dem Herzen.

If this world is going to be a better place for our grandchildren and great-grandchildren, it will be women who make it so.

Eine richtige Suppe ist vom Sinneskitzel bis zur Sättigung alles, was der Körper außer dem einen braucht.

I tend to see the similarities in people and not the differences.

Die Literatur ist für die Menschheit das, was Träume für den Einzelnen sind.

I want to have an epic life. I want to tell my life with big adjectives. I want to forget all the grays in between, and remember the highlights and the dark moments.

Ich kann nicht ohne das einzig zuverlässige Aphrodisiakum sein: die Liebe.

Roots are not in landscape or a country, or a people, they are inside you.

Der Krieg ist das Kunstwerk der Militärs, die Krönung ihrer Ausbildung, die goldene Spange ihres Berufes. Sie sind nicht dazu geschaffen, im Frieden zu glänzen.

My life is about ups and downs, great joys and great losses.

Männer mit fünfzig, sechzig und älter sind hoffnungslose Fälle.

Heart is what drives us and determines our fate. That is what I need for my characters in my books: a passionate heart. I need mavericks, dissidents, adventurers, outsiders and rebels, who ask questions, bend the rules and take risks.

Schreibe, was nicht vergessen werden sollte.

From journalism I learned to write under pressure, to work with deadlines, to have limited space and time, to conduct and interview, to find information, to research, and above all, to use language as efficiently as possible and to remember always that there is a reader out there.

Die meisten Hochglanzmagazine machen Frauen nicht selbstbewusst, sondern halten an dem Gedanken fest, es sei das größte Ziel, für Männer begehrenswert zu sein.

I can't control life for my grandchildren, so how could I control a story? Sometimes I try to force something, and after working and working on that chapter, I realise that I am swimming against the current. I will never get there. So I have to let go of whatever previous idea I had about it and let the characters decide.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen