Blog-Archiv

Mittwoch, 21. März 2018

Happy Birthday Sonequa Martin-Green!

It's really sad to say I wasn't surprised. Because of the state of our world currently and the state of our world right now and because of where we come from as a country. I was sad, I was disappointed, but I wasn't necessarily surprised. I will say though, on the other hand—you know what, I'm going to amend my statement. Yeah, it actually was surprising in this particular instance because a lot of the sort of backlash for the diversity were people who say they're long-term Trek fans.

Playing dead is just like playing alive: It's really just about you believing what you're doing and diving into the story headfirst.

So that was completely antithetical to me because how can you appreciate a legacy that is steeped in diversity, but be upset by diversity…that was a little confusing for me.

I do tend to be a leader in situations in my own life.

As I've said before, I just encourage anybody who has an issue with it to just tune in and join this journey with us, because it's a human story and it's a story about life and hopefully it will bring people together and make them see there's not much that separates us.

I would love to see myself in a position where I'm able to create opportunities for other people. I would love to see my husband and myself in a position to incite social change in a major way.

We're hoping that we take the pressure that feel, because we do take it so seriously, we hope that we can funnel it into the story.

I do have siblings, but I don't have any brothers.

There's gonna be all the twists and turns you would expect and twists and turns you did not expect, the finale is probably the most jam-packed episode there's ever been. Things are packed into it like sardines. All of the life is squeezed in there. They lengthened it to 90 minutes because there's just so much. It's a supersized monstrosity.

Finding true strength, not pretending to have strength, but actually being strong, and realizing that self-preservation is usually something that you do out of fear.

I think the craftsmanship of this show is through the roof. I am floored by everyone's artistry.

I think motherhood preps you for every single aspect of life. It's impossible to encapsulate in words how much motherhood prepped me for being a human being.

Obviously stories can be so healing. Art is so healing. And I think when you have a story that shows a picture of a utopian future – it's been this way the entire time this is the legacy of 'Star Trek' – and I think that when you can tap into that, when you can key into that, I think that having a vision of it can help you actualize it.

I was on track to change my name. In college, I was dead set on it. I was going to change it to Sonè or something. But my mentor at the time, Seth Panitch, who teaches at UA, said, “No! Don’t do that. You should keep it. That’s you.” I said OK and I never thought [changing my name] again.

It was a bit hurtful but I'm a black woman that was raised in the South. So it did not surprise me. I'm used to that, unfortunately. On one end I wasn't surprised, on the other end I sort of was because diversity and universality are pillars of 'Star Trek.' That is the legacy of it.

Not being secure affects us as humans. It throws us off our balance. It puts us in disarray.

'Star Trek' has always gone boldly, it always has. That's been the essence of it.

It is very fun to play [lead character on Star Trek Discvoery] because as Michael Burnham, being her, it’s a very conflicting identity. There’s an identity crisis at the very root of it all and to be someone who is constantly striving and constantly climbing and scraping, it’s challenging and it creates a lot of wounds. It can be quite damaging and it has been for me as Michael because it’s been in a not-so-conducive environment, at least on Vulcan. So it’s challenging and fulfilling in the all the right ways.

We're upholding the legacy but again taking that next step forward because here I am, the first black female lead. We've got the first Asian female captain, we've got the first woman captain – with a woman first officer.

For me, it's the three Fs: faith, family, and fitness.

So the naysayers – I think it's completely antithetical. If you say you're a longtime Trek fan, it doesn't make sense to me.

[Filming The Walking Dead] was extremely challenging both physically and emotionally, but I was able to do it. It was a blessing that I was able to do everything I would normally do if I wasn’t pregnant.

I have stage combat training from college, which is drastically different than fighting for the screen, but I do enjoy that kind of stuff.

I just let go and committed wholeheartedly. I was surprised at how much fun I had, actually.

I have been determined to go through every single bit of the canon. I started bingeing before we started production on the original, and I'm watching episodes here and there of all the different shows.

[Star Trek] was on the television when I was growing up. I remember seeing reruns of TOS, and some Next Generation and Deep Space Nine, so I had a peripheral understanding of it. I had seen the most recent JJ Abrams movies and, once I got the role, I decided I was going to see everything. I got as far as I could before I had to start working on my current story. I still say that I’ll see everything, we’ll see how long it takes me.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen