Blog-Archiv

Montag, 9. Oktober 2017

Happy Birthday Scott Bakula!

When I used to do tours, I`d be anxious and nervous on the plane returning to New York. I now realize the reaction was because I was coming back unemployed. Actors are constantly being put to the test.

It's a joyful, humbling feeling to be in different places around the planet and people have seen shows that I'm proud of being a part of, that do have things to say about the human condition, the planet, and who we are and where we've come from, that will sustain. Those ideas are universal and they work in any language.

Lots of people still live with fears about anything. It can be lots of different things. One of the hardest things to do is to be present and open and clear about who you are and what you stand for. We all have issues with that.

I try to get on stage whenever I can. I'm always trying to be involved in the theater, doing something on stage, whenever I have downtime. I'm always looking for it.

It's always great to be involved in something that's not in an in-your-face fashion, but has a message that goes out guised as entertainment.

In the fantasy, sci-fi world, the fans are so discerning and they're so tough and they're so intelligent, and they're so critical.

Being an actor opened doors for me to explore my emotions as different people and characters, and expand my own inner soul.

When you get into any kind of period work, or any kind of prosthetic work, or anything that alters what your 8×10 looks like, it's the joy of escaping and becoming somebody else. And it is definitely freeing.

I never intended to be on television or in a movie. The theater was all I ever dreamed about, once I decided to try to make it as a business profession. All this other stuff has just been icing.

Ive always had an affinity for lawyers. My dad is a lawyer. Hes retired now. My brother is a lawyer.

The longer you are in acting business, the more you cherish the times when you're working with people that do great work, and can figure out how to enjoy themselves while they're doing the great work.

I'm constantly involved in theater, looking at theater, trying to do work in theater, support theater. And that's kind of my creative passion.

By the end of that movie, I was in about three hours of makeup, by the time they did the tattoo and the burn and the cut and the blood and the dirt and the contact lenses. You know, it just went on and on. And I had to get there that much earlier as it went on to get ready for that day's work... Clive Barker is just genius, and he's incredibly gifted in so many different ways. He can write and direct and paint and do all these different things, and he can do them all extremely well. I was in awe just being around him. He was and is a sweetheart of a guy. But it was a very difficult shoot. Very, very difficult, and very challenging. But great performances from a bunch of people, and... that was another one that we kind of thought was going to become a series of movies, but it never happened. There was a second film script that came out, and we were talking about it, they were trying to decide who was going to direct it, and there were all kinds of things that were close to going, but then there were other things that happened with the studio, et cetera, and it never came to fruition. But it was a great experience, and I just love Clive Barker.

I went into show business because I love to work with people, and what I enjoy most about acting is rehearsing and getting to know people and their talents, forming relationships. Working in this business, barriers drop and you get into people real quickly.

A lot of people don't know that I'm a singer - that's my thing, really.

It was right around when I did that show that I got my first indication of what life was in Hollywood. I was doing a play out here, a musical called Nite Club Confidential, and it was this great show. So I'd go on auditions, and they'd say, "Oh, Scott, it's so nice to meet you!" and I'd say, "Oh, thanks!" And they'd go, "So, Nite Club Confidential!" And I'd be, like, "Oh, did you see it?" "Oh, no, no, we didn't see it. But we heard it was great!" And I realized, "Okay, I'm not in New York anymore, and this is a different world." Either they'd heard that it was great or they'd read that it was great, and that's why they were seeing me. Sylvie Drake wrote a great review, and all of a sudden I'm in all of these meetings, and I got the job on Designing Women. I just remember thinking, "Okay, so your work doesn't actually have to be seen." In New York, everybody goes to the theater, they see you, and they say, "Oh, I saw you, and you were unbelievable." Here, they just have to have heard you were good.

I find that it's easier to do parts that are wrapped up in different hair and wardrobe and eras, and different period behavior, than it is to play closer to the present.

Well, I'm... first and foremost I'm a theater guy and everything that I know comes from the theater.

I am very much against weapons in space. And I wish we could be spearheading that program to come to some kind of international agreement so that doesn't happen. That is my only - fear - in further space exploration like always, we hope it doesn't get abused.

In many respects, I think a lot of businessmen have become highly insensitive to the world, the environment, to everything around them. What are they doing with the millions and millions of dollars they're making? Why don't they give anything back? That, to me, is the height of insensitivity.

The biggest challenge for everybody to realize out there is that we're in a very complicated business world and that were all under one umbrella and it's very challenging for everybody to figure out where the priorities lie and where the loyalties lie.

And I've always felt comfortable certainly in a courtroom because you're just performing. And there was a time in my life when I thought when I grew up I'd be a trial lawyer myself.

On the whole, show business is a hard business in which to be married.

You want to try and bring a character to life in an honest a way as you possibly can. It doesn't matter whether he's a doctor, an actor, a car salesman or a captain of a starship. If you can bring truth and honesty to that character, then your audience will believe you.

I don't think that a company should own a studio and the network, and program for their own network. It hurts the creativity - it is not a level playing field.

I wanted to be an actor because it gave me the opportunity to express myself in ways I wasn't comfortable expressing myself, as a kid growing up in St. Louis.

The reality of our business is that for every actor who's rolled up his tent and given up and gone home, the next day you hear about some shoe salesman at Macy's who had this audition and now he's Harrison Ford. There's always that carrot out there in our business.

I like fantasy. I've always been the kind of kid who likes to dream about other things I could be and exotic situations I could be in.

Running for me has always been a great place to get away. It's a great stress reliever for me. It's great if I need to be working on something in my mind, whether it's things I need to be memorizing or thinking about, or I have some presentation coming up.

The great thing about show business is that there's no mandatory retirement age.

I've done great theatre, great films and had a lot of opportunities in television. I also love to sing, and I've been able to do that once or twice in the television shows.

Ideally, people find mates with whom they can express both their masculine and feminine sides.

Sunday night was such a big night for television when I was growing up - you know, The Wonderful World of Disney.

I've always been a big fan of time travel, and I'm very into the notion that some day we'll be able to do it. Beam me up!

The reason why most of actors got into acting was so that we could become other people and have fun with being somebody else.

I was a huge fan of the original 'Star Trek,' and I'd never even dreamed that I would someday be captain of a starship.

I havent really thought about where to scatter my ashes when the time comes, but I doubt that it would be in space.

The guy that picked me up at the airport in 1985 when I was out in L.A. for my first audition was selling a script. I was a nobody coming off a plane to read for a new show.

I am very much against weapons in space.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen