Blog-Archiv

Sonntag, 13. November 2016

Happy Birthday Whoopi Goldberg!

All I really want to do is just keep acting, and some of it will stink, and some of it will be really good, and maybe when I'm 85 and presenting an Oscar like Bette Davis did, I can look back and say, 'It was okay, I did all right.' 

Born ham, that's basically me.

An actress can only play a woman,I'm an actor I can play anything.

Everything for me is visual. That's just how my head works.

Her least favorite thing: VOLUNTARY IGNORANCE.

For some reason, all artists have self-esteem issues.

Art and life are subjective. Not everybody's gonna dig what I dig, but I reserve the right to dig it.

When I listen to these women, it makes what I thought were my hard knocks feel like little nudges.

Taking action is hard, but know what? Enduring a bad situation can be its own hell.

The art of acting is to be other than what you are.

Normal is just a cycle on the washing machine.

It's being willing to walk away that gives you strength and power - if you're willing to accept the consequences of doing what you want to do.

It you want to be somebody, If you want to go some where, you've got to wake up and pay attention.

I don't look like Halle Berry. But chances are she's going to end up looking like me.

I am where I am because I believe in all possibilities.

I grew up in a time when it would never have occurred to anyone to tell me there was anything I couldn't do.

Now, I've always known that there were bullies in the world. We've seen a lot of it in politics lately as well as in daily life. You see it where people who may be stronger, or bigger, or better with verbiage than other folks... show off. To me, that's what bullying is, showing off. It's saying, I'm better than you, I can take you down. Not just physically, but emotionally.

My family is Jewish, Buddhist, Baptist and Catholic. I don't believe in man-made religions.

We're here for a reason. I believe a bit of the reason is to throw little torches out to lead people through the dark.

You know, be an actor because you love to act. Don't be an actor because you think you're going to get famous, because that's luck.

I would love to teach every kid to say "fuck." Hang on, now, hang on, listen to why. The reason is because to me, that is a word that doesn't have any effect. But "stupid" and "dummy"? You can say it to someone who is six and you can say it to someone who is a hundred and six and they will hunch their shoulders and it will be like somebody kicked them in the stomach because they are harsh, ugly words.

If I was doing a talk show, I would do the kind of show that comes on just once a month, with amazing guests.

We forgive sometimes, and sometimes we don't. One thing that's consistent is, at least in the early going, we love to punish and we need to find a villian.

If every American donated five hours a week, it would equal the labor of 20 million full-time volunteers. 

Is there any forgiveness? If somebody does something wrong, we now have copped this "off with the head" attitude, which, I confess, feels great sometimes, but come on. Why do we paint everyone with the same brush? Why does it seem more & more we want people ruined rather than rehabilitated?

There are roles I am never considered for. Meryl Streep roles, let's say. Why not? I really wanted to do 'Ironweed,' for example, because the depression era in this country was one of the best for multiracial people, because everybody was poor. Everybody lived in the tents, and under buildings, and under gratings, together.

We are all here for a reason.I believe the reason is to throw little torches out to lead people thru the darkness.

I don't have pet peeves; I have whole kennels of irritation. 

And for some reason, there seems to be no internal policeman for a bully that says maybe you're hurting somebody's feelings. Or worse, maybe you're going to push this perons too far and they'll do something terrible. Something's not processing correctly in a bully's head. It doesn't seem to occur to them that what they're doing is corssing a line that shouldn't be crossed. And it's really, in my mind, no different than taking on defenseless kids. You do it just because you can.
It's an exercise in power; but it's also meant to dinsintegrate someone's Self. It's meant to take away their sense of who they are. And why? Because they're not as strong, or as bit, or as witty. 
Bullies are ball-less, soul-less creatures to me. And they're not just children, they're adults too. 
It's a terrorist act.
It's meant to make you feel afraid. It's meant to make you feel powerless to take care of the situation you find yourself in.

I want Carl Sagan to explain the sky to me. 

TALIBAN-ESQUE Any behavior that imposes the beliefs of one person on everyone else. Conversations with the Taliban-esque are impossible. They aren't even conversations. WIth them, it's my way or no way.

Normal is in the eye of the beholder.

Don't you believe that the punishment should fit the crime? Isn't that what justice is? Letely, though, I wonder if we've gotten more into vengenance than justice.

I am an artist, art has no color and no sex.

I should not ever live with anyone, because I just don't have the patience for it. I'm very cranky around other people.

I think the idea that you know who your inner self is on a daily basis, because... you know. What's good for you 25 years ago may not be good for you now. So, to keep in touch with that, I think that's the first ingredient for success. Because if you're a successful human being, everything else is gravy, I think. 

Before you judge me, look in the mirror.

I'm fighting the label of 'Black' actress simply because it's very limiting in people's eyes, especially people who are making movies. 

I'd like everyone to imagine a world where you get a job as Tom, and then the next day you're Tina. Imagine you're in the world where you love what you do, but people say that you can't be who you are.

Most of all, I dislike this idea nowadays that if you're a black person in America, then you must be called African-American. Listen, I've visited Africa, and I've got news for everyone: I'm not an African.

The original Sister Act is running all over the world now, on-stage as a musical. It lives!

Just call me black, if you want to call me anything.

What we're doing is not just about becoming a model. It's bigger than that. It's shining a spotlight on folks who know who they are. They know what they want to do. And in terms of modeling, they're already working. They know what they're doing! They're fantastic!

When I was doing ensemble theater and comedy work, I felt I had some talents. But when I started doing my shows in Berkeley and found that I could be funny on my own, I was shocked.

In the dark times, if you have something to hold on to, which is yourself, you'll survive.

The Africans know I'm not an African. I'm an American.

When I started, I knew I didn't fit any visual that anyone was going to lie down and take their clothes off about. Work doesn't come to me; I go out and look for it. 

Actors have no color. That's the art form.

I don't really view communism as a bad thing.

I don't have to be bam, bam, bam, funny when I'm working. I can tell stories, and there's some funny in them.

I'm a big old egotistical baby and that's okay. I can accept it.

We're here for a reason. I believe a bit of the reason is to throw little torches out to lead people through the dark.

I have the strangest time to get cast in anything. 'Ghost' was the same thing. Six months I had to wait for them to decide they had seen everybody possible. Why not? What limits me? I'm black? Oh, am I black?

When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember and be kind to someone else. And it'll become like a wildfire. 

And I don't believe that I have to stay on one side of the fence or the other. I don't believe that there is any good career move or bad career move. I believe there are only the things that make me happy.

I think because I've gotten permission from my style icons like Tim Gunn and André Leon Talley, who say to me, "You don't need to dress like anyone else, because you're your own fashion icon. You represent comfortable. And you do fashion your way, and you should be at Fashion Week." They gave me permission to enjoy it! And it's great!

I'm as American as Chevrolet.

When I was nine years old, Star Trek came on, I looked at it and I went screaming through the house, 'Come here, mum, everybody, come quick, come quick, there's a black lady on television and she ain't no maid!' I knew right then and there I could be anything I wanted to be.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen