Blog-Archiv

Dienstag, 19. August 2014

Happy Birthday Jonathan Frakes!

Shields up! Rrrrred alert!

Fact or fiction!

I've always thought that we, as human beings, would be naive and arrogant to pretend that we're the only life form in the galaxy.
 
I always enjoyed going into the holodeck.
 
I think Star Trek has been very double-edged for all of us - as actors, writers, directors.
 
I think that I've been pigeon-holed by virtue of the fact that I've spent so much time in front of a green screen.
 
I think, frankly, that I'm a better director than I was an actor.
 
I think, unfortunately or fortunately, the reality of Hollywood is that if your movie makes money, they'll make another one.
 
I like contemporary American literature and I like biographies and I like jazz and I like baseball and I like writers who write about the human condition and sci-fi is just something that I happened into.
 
If the prime directives were followed a little more accurately here on earth, I mean it sounds somewhat Pollyanna, but I think people would certainly get along better.
 
I was told during the first season by the late, great Gene Rodenberry that he wanted Riker to have a Gary Cooper stance and presence and never to smile. It's very hard for me not to smile so I spent the first season being very rigid – and you can see it in the show – Riker's really stiff and rigid, trying desperately not to smile and finally I think Gene, and other people who leapt in, said maybe we should let a little more Frakes seep into Riker.

I think enjoying it helps. I don't think there's any reason to be an actor unless you feel deep in your soul that you have to be, because it's not a career that one can count on working in or making a living at.

When I was younger I fancied the idea of being a jazz trombone player -- playing all those wonderful standards night after night -- and before that I wanted to be a psychiatrist. But now, I'd be happy to just have a bait shop.

I'm very proud of having been a part of [Star Trek], and it is what has allowed me to do what I'm doing now. It was 18 years of our lives and it has given all of us some wonderful things, not the least of which is our friendships.
 
I don't think you ever leave Star Trek for good.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen